• July 7, 2018 at 10:26 am #4891
    testforum

For the past couple of days I have been sitting through some training here at my agency with our staff on the new child welfare policies. Though I knew a lot about these changes, it has been quite overwhelming to sit through with staff and watch as they fully realize what is expected.  We are working on best practice ideas and how best to incorporate these changes and how to get it all done.

I would love to hear from other counties, who are resource strapped, about your creative ideas and practices that you will be putting in place to meet these challenges.

• July 7, 2018 at 10:41 am #4895
    tuser1
    Participant

I’ve seen several documents. This is the best source I’ve seen. https://www.ncacdss.org

• July 7, 2018 at 10:50 am #4897
    tuser1
    Participant

I have addressed this with my group and as all of us see, we face insurmountable odds with new child welfare policies. We plan to restructure our child welfare social workers into teams to create a more multifaceted approach, hopefully this will eliminate the possibility of a social worker feeling alone when debacle occurs. Now that being said, I have assured them as their Director that our priority will continue to keep children safe and families protected and that new policies will not get in the way. I have expressed this sentiment directly with Secretary Cohen and she shared my concerns. I have spoken with my County Manager and Commissioner and they agree that state is being unrealistic and they will support our social workers facing this storm.

Personally, I will not break my workers when I know that new expectations are absurd. We are moving toward a perfect storm so to speak, with intensified unrealistic policies and standards and the inevitable ill spin of absorbing social worker function into NCFAST. Overwhelming is a understand for sure, my workers are already overwhelmed and doing the best that they can, it is a shame that we are putting even more pressure on our folks. On the up side I have a great group and my plan is to totally support and embrace them everyway I can, I have ask them for their creative thoughts and will consider anything that they might suggest within reason to combat what is coming.

I believe in what we do, people need us, I am just hoping a praying that when we start to crumble, the state will back off quickly and re-think the craziness. I am proud to be part of this group of Directors, let us continue to stand together in defense of what is right.

Sorry, I might have gotten a little of track, as you can see I struggle with this.

• July 7, 2018 at 10:51 am #4898
    tuser1
    Participant

I agree with your statements.
    As to your next to last paragraph the State has sent out this little thing called a MOU…

• July 7, 2018 at 10:51 am #4899
    tuser1
    Participant

I’m glad I trained as a Psychiatric Social Worker in school… I’m finding I use more and more of that education on myself these days…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.